Restaurants are in the giving spirit this week. Depending on where you are, treat yourself to coffee, mezcal, beer or ice cream and donate to nonprofit organizations. You don’t have to ask us twice to consume mezcal in the name of charity.
- The liquid nitrogen ice cream churners at Smitten Ice Cream in San Francisco opened their biggest SF shop in the Mission district on Thursday. They slung scoops on opening day at “pay what you’d like” prices, with proceeds going to La Cocina, a local nonprofit offering kitchen space and mentorship to low-income immigrant women looking to get into the food industry.
- Peet’s Coffee released its annual Anniversary Blend and will be donating 25 cents for every cup of the blend purchased to Coffee Kids, a training and mentoring organization in Colombia. The blend will be available in Peet’s Coffee locations and in grocery stores for a limited time.
- Temerario in NYC’s Chelsea neighborhood is teaming up with Panorama Mezcal in hosing a mezcal tasting night on Monday, March 27. Ten brands and 40 mezcals will be available for the tasting. Tickets are available for $30 and $40 at the door, with proceeds going to benefit the ACLU.
- Spelman College in Atlanta is hosting a Food Justice Symposium on Thursday, March 30. Food justice activist LaDonna Redmond will be joined by food policy expert Alison Brown and an assistant professor of environmental justice at the University of Wisconsin-Madison to discuss how race, gender and class intersect in the food justice world.
- Pour for More is a nonprofit group in Michigan that works with over 15 vendors serving beer to collect donations to benefit local charities. A new charity is the focus each month. The organization is gearing up to benefit the Disability Network of Northern Michigan in April.
Mezcal Night at Temerario by #PanoramaMezcal Monday, March 27th from 6pm to 9pm at @temerarionyc This will be tasting of over 40 Mezcals expressions from 10 top producers in Mexico (including @mezcalvago @wahakamezcal @kochelmezcal @elbuhomezcal @mezcalpierdealmas @ilegalmezcal @mezcalunion @nuestrasoledadusa #mezcaleljolgorio #mezcaldonmateo There will be also a photo gallery by @jorsand from his travels around different palenques in Mexico. Showing the hardwork and the artisanal style of making this spirit. Fundraise for @aclu_nationwide $30 early bird tickets $40 at the door Link on bio for tickets.