The days of a broken poached egg are over. Don’t worry about creating the perfect swirl of simmering water or adding too much vinegar, because our friends at ChefSteps have written in with a method that provides perfectly poached eggs. All you’ll need is a sous vide device, a pot, some eggs and an hour. While the eggs cook, put a pot of coffee on, whip up some Hollandaise sauce, read the news, feed the dog, look wistfully out your window and whatever else a morning can entail. Then Instagram the heck out of those perfectly runny yolks.
Ultimate Poached Egg Upgrade
- Grade AA extra-large eggs, chilled or room temperature, as needed
- Sous vide set up
- Preheat Joule or sous vide to 147°F/64°C for set but tender white, thick by runny yolk.
- Gently place eggs in the pot one at a time, taking care not to drop them from too high. You want to keep these eggs intact. Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the eggs from the water and, if using right away, remove from the shell. We know you want to keep the eggs pretty, so here’s our trick. Gently crack the shell, then carefully break open over a spoon and let any loose white slide off.
- Gently transfer that lovely egg to your dish of choice, and enjoy right away.
ChefSteps comprises a team of award-winning chefs, filmmakers, scientists, designers and engineers focused on revolutionizing the way people cook by inspiring creativity and encouraging expertise in the kitchen. You can also get access to all of ChefSteps’ Premium content — including paid classes and dozens of recipes available only to Premium members for a onetime fee of $39. Classes include Sous Vide: Beyond the Basics, Fluid Gels, French Macarons and more!